There are a wide variety of commercial, industrial, institutional, and mixed-use projects. Below are a few examples.
- Gas Station
- Retail Building
- Industrial Shop
- Car/Truck Wash
- Medical/Dental Clinic
- Government Building
Rules & Requirements
There are many considerations to every project such as:
- The types of development permitted in various land use districts (zoning)
- The amount of area on a lot that buildings can cover (site coverage)
- The required distances from property lines and other structures (setbacks)
- How high a building can be in various land use districts (elevation)
- The restriction of building structures over gas lines or other utilities (URWs)
Hinton's Land Use Bylaw describes rules and requirements for new developments.
- Consider consulting with design professionals (i.e. architect, engineer, landscape architect) before committing to a location.
- Consider items in your design such as waste pick up, snow removal and storage, parking and loading, landscaping, vehicular maneuverability, and storm water management.
- If you are intending on installing a sign to support your business, a separate Development Permit is required.
- For larger developments, a pre-application meeting is strongly recommended as our team can assist in the process and offer expertise and guidance.
Check out the Inspections Group reference guide for guidelines on applying for Building, Electrical, Gas, Plumbing and Private Sewage Permits.