New Business (Change of Use)
While exploring options for your business location, please consider the factors below before committing to the location.
- New business moving into an existing space
- Existing business changing locations
- Moving into a space that has been vacant for more than 6 months
Land Use Approval
Each property within Hinton has a land use district (zoning) applied to it, which dictates what the land may be used for. Uses may be permitted, discretionary, or not permitted.
Rules & Requirements
Hinton's Land Use Bylaw describes rules and requirements for new business (change of use).
- Please refer to the particular Land Use district for specific details.
- Consider zoning before choosing a location for your business to ensure compliance with the Land Use Bylaw. Development Services is happy to assist with your preliminary zoning research.
- A separate Development Permit is required if you intend to install a sign to support your business.
- If you intend to renovate your commercial space to accommodate your business, Building, Plumbing, Gas, and Electrical Permits may also be required.
In order to operate a Business within Hinton you must hold a valid Business Licence. Once you receive your Business Licence, it must be prominently displayed in your place of business.
Moving your Business
- If you plan to change your business location, and you already have a Business Licence, you must notify Development Services before the move occurs.
- Depending on the previous use of the space and your intended alterations, you may need a Development Permit and/or Building Permit, Plumbing, Gas, and Electrical Permits.
- There is no fee to change the address of your Business Licence.