Following the ammonia leak incident at the Dr. Duncan Murray Recreation Centre on October 12, 2023, we are enacting the following recommendations to enhance preparedness for all teams and visitors in case of an emergency.
1. Skate Guards at the Bench:
- Each team is advised to have a bin with skate guards at the bench.
- This guarantees that should an emergency occur, there won't be time to return to dressing rooms or remove skates, enabling a swifter and more efficient evacuation process.
2. Vehicle Keys:
- All attendees, including team members and visitors, are encouraged to keep their vehicle keys on them at all times.
3. Dress Warm:
- Acknowledge the unpredictable weather conditions by advising everyone to dress warmly.
- This recommendation is crucial for ensuring the comfort and well-being of individuals during emergency situations, especially if they need to wait outside.
4. Awareness of Children:
- Remind all participants, including spectators, to be aware of the whereabouts of children at all times.
- In emergency situations, ensuring the safety of children is paramount, and heightened awareness can prevent accidents or confusion.
During the October 12th incident, individuals without warm clothing, shoes, and keys were outside for over four hours and couldn't access their belongings until the Fire Department cleared the building. These requirements collectively contribute to a comprehensive emergency preparedness plan, considering both the immediate safety concerns and the potential challenges posed by the surrounding environment. This is a practical measure, ensuring that individuals have immediate access to transportation if evacuation is necessary.