Following the ammonia leak incident at the Dr. Duncan Murray Recreation Centre on October 12, 2023, we are enacting the following recommendations to enhance preparedness for all teams and visitors in case of an emergency. These steps are geared towards improving safety and readiness for teams, visitors, and spectators alike. The subsequent breakdown and elaboration offer a more detailed understanding of the provided recommendations.
- Skate Guards at the Bench:
- Each team is advised to have a bin with skate guards at the bench.
- This ensures that in the event of an emergency, there won't be a need to return to dressing rooms or remove skates, allowing for a quicker and more efficient evacuation.
- Vehicle Keys:
- All attendees, including team members and visitors, are encouraged to keep their vehicle keys on them at all times.
- This is a practical measure, ensuring that individuals have immediate access to transportation if evacuation is necessary.
- Dress Warm:
- Acknowledge the unpredictable weather conditions by advising everyone to dress warmly.
- This recommendation is crucial for ensuring the comfort and well-being of individuals during emergency situations, especially if they need to wait outside.
- Awareness of Children:
- Remind all participants, including spectators, to be aware of the whereabouts of children at all times.
- In emergency situations, ensuring the safety of children is paramount, and heightened awareness can prevent accidents or confusion.
These recommendations collectively contribute to a comprehensive emergency preparedness plan, considering both the immediate safety concerns and the potential challenges posed by the surrounding environment.