Detecting Fraud Attempts
From the CRA Fraud Prevention Website:
Beware of tax fraud schemes. If you get a call or email that sounds like a scam, it probably is.
When the CRA contacts you, it makes sure your personal information is protected.
The CRA will never:
- ask for personal information by email or text message;
- request payment by prepaid credit card;
- share your tax information with another person or organization, unless you have agreed that it can be shared;
- leave personal information on an answering machine;
- threaten or use nasty language.
When in doubt, check My Account or call 1-800-959-8281.