Mandatory Face Coverings
September 2, 2021
At the Special Meeting of Council held September 2, 2021, Hinton Town Council unanimously approved Bylaw 1163: Mandatory Face Coverings. This Bylaw will be reviewed every first and third Tuesday of each month at a Regular Meeting of Council or a Special Meeting of Council.
The Bylaw section 3.1 reads:
All persons shall always wear a Face Covering while in an indoor, enclosed, or substantially enclosed Public Place or in any Public Transportation Vehicle.
Public Place is Here Defined as:
- any property, whether publicly or privately owned, to which members of the public have access as of right or by express or implied invitation, whether on payment of any fee or not.
Public Transportation is Here Defined as:
- a bus, taxi, or other vehicle used for the transportation of people upon the payment of a fee.
This Bylaw is enacted at the time that it was passed, and this therefore now in effect.
The Town of Hinton has the authority to implement this decision based on the Municipal Governance Act. Section 7 of the Municipal Government Act, RSA 2000 c. M-26 allows Council to pass bylaws for municipal purposes respecting matters including:
- The safety, health, and welfare of people and the protection of people and property;
- People, activities, and things in, on, or near a public place or place that is open to the public;
- Businesses, business activities, and persons engaged in business.
For more information on Bylaw exemptions and to view Bylaw #1163 CLICK HERE.