PARKS, RECREATION, AND CULTURE
After reviewing Alberta Health Services new measures, the Dr. Duncan Murray Recreation Centre will remain open with changes to meet the restrictions for Alberta and enhanced status areas.
These changes are in effect immediately until December 18, 2020 or until the Provincial Health Order is lifted. We look forward to providing limited and safe exercise and training opportunities under the current regulations. Thank you for doing your part as caring community member.
Your Recreation Centre is an indoor public space so remember that Bylaw 1151: Temporary Mandatory Mask And Face Coverings is in place. Thank you.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
7:30 am - 9:00 pm
9:00 am - 9:00 pm
COURTS/OTHER INDOOR FACILITIES
Courts 1, 2, & 4 – Available for public use with occupancy limited to 1-person or same household use. Call the Customer Service line (780-865-4412) or Kayla Carson (780- 865-6028) for booking details and reservation.
Meeting Room and Peoples Centre – Closed for Public use
Customers with bookings or reservations affected by these changes will be contacted.
Bouldering Wall remains closed until the safety measures are fully in place.
Concession closed until user group activities can resume.
Extensions for memberships (pass holders)
The time period from March 14 up to October 1 is allocated as the extension period for all applicable passes. If you have questions about your own Rec Centre pass or pool locker, please come in and connect with our Customer Service Clerk or call 865-4412 for assistance.
Take note that the following is still in place:
- Customers will be required to sign in at Customer Service
- Day Care customers will be welcomed and signed in by Day Care staff separately
- Users are required to arrive dressed for their activity and bring own equipment
- Rental equipment will not be available at this phase
- Customers wishing to meet with staff are asked to call ahead to arrange appropriate meeting options.
- There will be no access to the vending machines, coin lockers, court lockers, foyer furniture and courtesy phone
- Customers are asked to hand sanitize before and after use of ATM and photocopier
- Washrooms are available to Rec Centre customers; Showers are not available
- Customers are asked to pay by debit or credit whenever possible to lessen cash transactions
The Arenas will remain open for individual or same household use to allow for exercise or training purposes only. All public health guidelines and physical distancing requirements must be followed.
Rentals and Reservations (only for Individual or same Household):
Ice Times Available Monday – Sunday: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm. To rent or reserve, call 780-865-4412 or 780-865-6028.
(bookings made 2 or more days in advance)
- Regular rental fees apply if booking is made 8 days or more in advance
- Receive discounted rate of $65/hour if booked 2 to 7 days in advance
(1 day in prior or on the day of)
- Limited to 1-hour ice slot
- Cannot be reserved more than one day in advance
- Regular admission fee will apply
Take note of the following:
- No spectators allowed
- Limit your time inside the facility: reserve ahead, timely arrive and leave the facility
- Dressed as much as possible at home
- Dressing rooms are closed, call the Front Desk (780-865-4412) for special requests
- No showers available
- Skate sharpening service is still available. Please call the Customer Service (780-865-4412) to get information regarding operation hours.
The Arena staff will ensure all COVID related cleaning and sanitizing are done, plus regulations are followed. Please let the crew know if you observe issues so they can be addressed as quickly as possible.
All Pool basins and the Steam Room are open!
Monday thru Friday 6:30 am to 9:30 pm
Saturday, Sunday 11:30 am to 6:30 pm
We are now in Phase 3 of the Pool Relaunch!
A new schedule is in effect below due to the new provincial enhanced measures.
For information, schedule changes, and announcement of guide releases please stay tuned for future updates by liking our Facebook page – Dr Duncan Murray Recreation Centre.
Swimmers can reserve times 1 day prior to their swim. Multiple times can be reserved. Slots are available in 30 minute increments in order for us to maximize our services
during this time.
Please note 1:00pm-2:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays are drop-in only if the spot is not rented out.
A limited number of lockers are available for use on a first-come, first-served basis.
Registration for Winter 2021 Group Lessons opens Thursday December 17, 2020. Stay tuned for more information in the Winter Recreation & Leisure Guide release on December 3, 2020.
Visit our Facebook page for program codes to reserve your Lane Swim time. Swim times will be released every Friday prior to the upcoming week. To reserve your swim time slot visit hinton.ca/rec (on the bottom of the screen click SCHEDULE) or call 780-865-4412 for assistance.
GROUP LESSONS CANCELLED
Until further notice due to new Provincial Public Health Order, group lessons are cancelled. Private one-on-one lessons are still available. Please call 780-740-8063 to register today! Registration for Winter 2021 Group Lessons opens Thursday December 17, 2020. Stay tuned for more information in the Winter Recreation & Leisure Guide release on December 3, 2020.
Visit our Facebook page for program codes to reserve your Lane Swim time.
Swim times will be released every Friday prior to the upcoming week.
To reserve your swim time slot visit hinton.ca/rec (on the bottom of the screen click SCHEDULE) or call 780-865-4412 for assistance.
6 lanes available for reservation. The lane number you receive will be determined on a first come first serve basis. Families (same household) are permitted and encouraged to utilize the same lane. Cohorts will not be permitted to share lanes until further notice. Swimmers 10 years and younger must be accompanied and supervised by a responsible adult or guardian 18 years or older. It is recommended that you bring your own equipment for use. Equipment use will be limited to PFDs, pull buoys, and flutter boards. Please request equipment from the Lifeguard and return it once you no longer require.
until further notice due to new provincial enhanced measures.
All Public swims will become Family Swims until further notice.
16 INDIVIDUAL spots will be available for the Main Pool. Communal toys and equipment will not be provided at this time. PFDs will be provided upon request from the Lifeguard and must be returned once it is no longer required. Rope Swing and Climbing Wall will be closed until further notice.
STEAM ROOM use is limited to 2 persons.
HOT TUB use is limited to 2 persons.
PLAY POOL use is limited to 13 persons
Spots in these pool amenities are available on a drop-in first come first served basis
The following is in place to ensure your swim is as safe as possible
- Once you have been granted access to the Aquatic Centre, we ask that you please follow the directional arrows
- All swimmers are responsible for ensuring physical distancing from one another at all times
- Masks are required in the Aquatic Facility but are not permitted to be worn while performing physical activity
- Masks may be removed upon entry to the changerooms
- Changeroom capacity is limited to 10 people per changeroom
- A limited amount of lockers are now available for public use It is recommended that swimmers arrive wearing their swimsuit
- There are areas taped off on deck for you to place your belongings if the lockers are full
- All swimmers MUST take a cleansing shower prior to their swim
- Note: shower stalls are also reduced until further notice
- Equipment use is limited
- If you require a PFD, flutter board, or pull buoy you must request it from the Lifeguard
- After use please place it in the bin on deck
- We strongly recommend you take your post swim shower at home
- Swimmers 10 years and younger must be accompanied by a guardian 18 years or older
- Snorkels are not permitted until further notice
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to the Aquatic Supervisor at 780-740-8063. Happy swimming !
As of now, the following gathering limitations and restrictions are in effect related to events:
Hinton: Enhanced (purple) Areas
- No indoor social gatherings in any setting
- Outdoor gatherings max of 10
- Wedding and funeral services max of 10, no receptions permitted
- No festivals or events
- Places of worship at 1/3 normal attendance
- Restricted access to some businesses
With these limitations, there will be no equipment rental requests approved for events occurring in the next three weeks (until December 18, 2020).
Are you planning an event?
Online equipment rental requests will be accepted for events occurring in the New Year on a case by case basis. Use the following link: hinton.ca/EquipRental to complete the form. In-person Event Checklist meetings will be by appointment or scheduled via Microsoft Teams or Zoom. Our event coordinator is a great resource to all event organizers and can assist and answer any questions that you may have. We can be reached Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm by calling 780-865-6055 or by email email@example.com
Recreation & Leisure Guide
The Winter and Winter Break Recreation & Leisure Guide for the Dr. Duncan Murray Recreation Centre is scheduled for release on December 3, 2020. The Fall Recreation & Leisure guide continues to be in effect until December 18, 2020 at this link: Hinton.ca/Fall2020.
If you would like to discuss future content for the Recreation & Leisure Guide, please contact Event Coordinator, Don Engerdahl, for more information.
Winter Magic Festival
Planning for the 34th Annual Winter Magic Festival are proceeding. The festival is scheduled February 6 - 21, 2021.
The Parks and Public Works crews have worked together to start building ice on our Outdoor Rinks. In the coming days staff members will continue to build the ice surfaces and maintain them over the coming months and keep it ready for ice skating fun depending on the weather conditions.
Outdoor Rinks are located at:
- Erith Park (Hockey Rink and kids rink)
- Kinsmen Park (kids rink)
- Mary Reimer Regional Park – P-lot at soccer field side / Boutin Ave. (kids rink)
We are planning and trying to build a skating track this winter to have even more locations for skating! Keep an eye out for updates on our Facebook page and we
will tell where it is … when it’s ready.
We were able to do some low impact maintenance work on the Beaver Boardwalk and hope to continue to level a few other sections this year if winter conditions allow. The as-build drawings are submitted as final part of the additional requirements in the approval process for higher impact maintenance work.
The boardwalk area that runs along the East side of Happy Creek that was closed is now open! A new section of boardwalk has also been completed near the beaver lodge.
Thank you for your patience and respecting the safety of our workers on site.
If you have any observations, requests, or concerns you want to share, please use the MyHinton App 24/7 and follow the directions for your submission. You can also contact our department by phone during office hours (780-865-2634).
When there is enough snow you can enjoy the big toboggan hill on 140-160 Collinge Road. The sign will tell you when it is closed due to safety conditions. A second and somewhat smaller toboggan hill can be found next to the Hinton/Friendship Centre on 1050 Switzer Drive. Have fun and slide safe!
Other Outdoor Facilities
- All Outdoor Tennis and Pickle Ball courts are now closed due to current weather conditions that eliminate safe usage
- Enjoy all our town trails, boardwalk, parks, open spaces, bike park and disc golf course as much as you can!
Please respect physical distancing and avoid outdoor gatherings over 10 people on our boardwalk, trails and in our parks to help keep the areas open for all to enjoy.