Council Passes 2018 Budget
During the January 23, 2018 Town of Hinton Regular Council meeting, the 2018 Operating and Capital Budget was passed by Council.
A summary of the operating budget and explanations of variances to the 2017 budget are on pages 4-5 (see agenda package here)
followed by an explanation of the various Town programs and budgets on pages 9-10 (see agenda package here)
The budget proposes the following to keep the lights on and maintain existing service levels:
- Increase to municipal taxes by 3.5%.
- Impact to a residence assessed at $325,000 is $5.25/month or $63/year.
- Increase to Water Residential/Commercial rates by 10% due to forecasted increased costs related to the transfer of the operation of the water treatment plant from West Fraser to the Town.
- Water flat rate increases by $3.16/month or $37.92/year
- Increase to Sewer Residential / Commercial rates by 5%
- Sewer flat rate increases by $.70/month or $8.28/year
- Waste Management Residential / Commercial increase by 5% / 10% respectively.
- Residential rate increases by $.58/month or $6.84/year
- Commercial rate increases by $2.83/month or $33.96/year
To set the organization up for success, 2 new positions (Public Works Operator (PWII) and Utility Supervisor) are added to address an aging workforce and significant workloads, for a total of $233,500.
Civic agencies proposed to receive an increase from the 2017 Operating budget are:
- Hinton Municipal Library $ 5,000
- Performing Arts Theatre $16,000
- Northern Rockies Museum $30,000
The new positions and the increase to the civic agencies are intended to be funded by reducing the transfer to reserves from the Operating budget.
The table below provides an overview of the rate changes from 2015 to 2017.