Half Masting Local Flags
The Town of Hinton owns and proudly displays a number of Canada, Alberta, and Hinton flags throughout our community. Flags may be lowered to half-mast to commemorate special dates such as Remembrance Day or as a measure of respect and condolence when a high profile official passes away.
Flags must be Half-Masted as soon as possible upon notification of the death until sunset on the day of the funeral or memorial service for the following scenarios:
- The Sovereign, the Sovereign’s spouse, the Heir to the Throne, or the Heir to the Heir of the Throne;
- Current or former Prime Minister;
- Current or former Governor General;
- Current Chief Justice of Canada and current Member of the Canadian Ministry;
- Current Lieutenant Governor;
- Current local Member of the Federal or Provincial Parliaments;
- Current or former Premier of Alberta;
- Current or former Member of Hinton’s Town Council;
- Current or former Member of Yellowhead County’s Council, Division #8;
- Current or former resident of Hinton or Yellowhead County who is a member of the Armed Forces of Canada and is killed in the line of duty;
- Current employee of the Town of Hinton
Notwithstanding the above, when a funeral or memorial service will not be scheduled within two weeks of the notification of death, Flags may be lowered to Half-Mast for a period of at least 72 hours and then again on the date of the funeral or memorial service from sunrise to sunset.
Flags must be flown at Half-Mast from sunrise to sunset to commemorate the following occasions:
- Day of Mourning for Persons Killed or Injured in the Workplace (Workers’ Mourning Day) (April 28)
- National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism (June 23)
- Firefighters’ National Memorial Day (second Sunday in September)
- Police and Peace Officers’ National Memorial Day (last Sunday in September)
- Remembrance Day (November 11)
- National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women (December 6)
In Exceptional Circumstances, if approved by the Mayor (or in the Mayor’s absence, the Deputy Mayor), in consultation with the Chief Administrative Officer, Flags may be lowered to Half-Mast for a duration deemed appropriate by the approver. Learn more in the policy, available here.
- April 11 - April 21: Humboldt Broncos Bus Crash Incident