Permits & Applications
Applying for a development permit
Development permit applications may be submitted in advance prior to applying for safety code permit applications. Development must be started and diligently pursued within 12 months of the date of the development permit approval. If Safety Code permits are required, you must apply prior to beginning your project.
You must apply for a development permit for:
- Accessory buildings such as garages, sheds and gazebos
- New building construction
- Additions or alterations to an existing building
- Covered or enclosed decks regardless of height
- Uncovered decks over 2 feet high
- Demolition of an existing building
- Change of use
- Home based business
- Secondary suites
Development permits are regulated by Hinton’s Land Use Bylaw. A development permit allows a specific type of use on a parcel of land.
You can use our online mapping system to gather information on your property such as zoning, dimensions and legal address. If you have any questions or require help filling out an application, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call/visit our office.